Your address will show here +12 34 56 78


What to do in a car accident?
A Few Things You Should Know...

What should I do if I have been in a car accident?

First and foremost, check to see that you are ok and then see if anyone else is hurt. If there are any injuries at all, call 911 immediately.
Observe your surroundings and make sure you are out of harms way. 

Take detailed photos of the accident, the way the cars are positioned and the damage done to the vehicles. You should then proceed to exchange personal information. Depending on the situation, prepare to seek help from either the police and/or the nearest reporting centre and a nearby tow truck.
Reference the ACCIDENT PROCEDURE GUIDELINE to review the step-by-step process.

** It is your right to request what repair facility your vehicle is transferred to. 
For best results, request that they deliver your car to a Royal Synergies Facility and we will make sure you are properly taken care of.

Should I wait for the police or go straight to the reporting centre?

First, check yourself and make sure you are okay, then see if anybody else is hurt. If there are any injuries, call 911 immediately. 

The Highway Traffic Act requires that all collisions where anyone is injured, where damage exceeds a combined value of $2,000, or where there is damage to highway property, MUST be reported to police. - If no one is hurt and the damage is under $2,000, the police at the reporting centre will not create a report for you.

If there is over $2,000 of combined damage and there are no injuries or property damage, you must go to the nearest reporting centre. Call the reporting centre and ask for an incident number. This number will be needed when you get to the reporting centre. If your car needs to be towed then call a tow truck or use the one that is already there. In some cases police will instruct you to wait at the scene of the accident.

Is RoyalSynergies Collision Better Business Bureau (BBB) accredited?

Yes! Not only are we are proud to be an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau, but we are also I-CAR GOLD CLASS certified. The Gold Class® recognition is the highest role-relevant training achievement recognized by the collision repair industry. It is estimated that only 10% of repair shops currently meet the rigorous Gold Class standard. 

Are you able to work with my Insurance company?

Yes! We proudly work with all insurance companies and can coordinate the repair process directly. We are happy to help and will even give you the option of relieving yourself of the stressful burden that often follows a claim. We can offer insurance company negotiations, vehicle replacement and a detailed explanation of all repairs. Your vehicle will be returned cleaned and in pre-accident condition, backed by our lifetime guarantee on all repairs, for as long as you own your vehicle.

Can I go to the reporting centre near my home?

NO, you must always go to the NEAREST reporting centre closest to where the accident happened. A reporting centre in another city will not accept your report and will simply direct you back to the reporting centre located in the same city were the accident occurred.

Can we move from the road to clear traffic?

Ideally you should first take down the license plate of the other party and if possible, take photos of the accident in its current state. Directly after that, if no one is hurt and there is no criminal offence such as drunk driving or a hit and run , then yes, you may want to move from the road to help clear traffic. If combined damages are over $2,000, it is always a good idea to call police first and ask for instructions. 

*For help, please call us at  416-402-6782  and we will be happy to walk you through the process.

Can I have my car towed to the location of my choice?

Absolutely! - In fact we highly encourage it for the reason that many tow truck services in Toronto and surrounding areas don't always have your best interest at heart. Often they will try to tow you to a location of their choice because of an "unique" deal they have with shops of lesser repute that pays them a "finders fee". 

It's important to always remember, it is your car, and you have full right to decide where you want your car to be taken after the reporting centre process is concluded. 
If for whatever reason you are nervous, stressed or simply feeling overwhelmed, call us at 416-402-6782 and we'll gladly help you through the process on what your rights are and what you should do. 

Who should I call for a tow?

If your vehicle is not drivable, call the tow service of your choice (your auto manufacturer’s road side service, CAA or other), but be sure to ask for an estimate before they tow.  *After you have reported the accident, please call 416-402-6782 or help on what to do next so that you and your vehicle receive the best repair process possible.

Will I receive a rental car while my car is being repaired?

In many cases, your insurance policy may cover the cost of a rental car, however it is important to double check this before assuming so. Your insurance company will only pay for a rental car if you have that option on your policy or if you are the claimant. Check your policy and/or call your insurance to find out if you have rental coverage and what your specific limitations are.
* Regardless of whether the costs are covered by your insurance or not, we are still more than happy to help you with any arrangements for any car rental requirements you may need.
What To Do After an Auto Collision / Car Accident:
You have been in a car accident. What do you do? Even the best drivers get into accidents. 
To help you, here are step by step instructions on what you should do when you get into an auto collision accident: 

STEP 1: 
Stop. If your vehicle is involved in an accident and you don't stop, you may be subject to criminal prosecution.

Call the police if anyone is injured, if the total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be more than $2,000, or you suspect that any of the other drivers involved are guilty of a Criminal Code offence (such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol). Follow the instructions given to you by the emergency operator. Police will arrive as soon as possible. Do not try to move anyone injured in the accident — you may aggravate their injuries.
If no one is injured and total damage to all the vehicles involved appears to be less than $2,000, call a Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours. These centres are police facilities created to assist motorists in reporting motor vehicle accidents. At the reporting centre you will complete a police report, and damage to the vehicle will be photographed.  - Call (647) 826-1577  or (905) 338-3631, inform them that you have been in an accident and ask for help on how to locate the Collision Reporting Centre nearest to you.

STEP 3:   
If it is safe to do so, get out of your car. If you have access to a digital camera or a cell phone, you should use it to take pictures of the scene.

STEP 4:   
When it is safe, move your vehicle to the side of the road, out of traffic. If your vehicle cannot be driven, turn on your hazard lights or use cones, warning triangles or flares, as appropriate.

STEP 5: 
Record as much information as possible. Fill in an Accident Worksheet to help you remember what happened and to log all necessary details. You may also use your cell phone to audio and video record as much information as possible.

Call your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. Inform them what happened and ask for next steps. For more information on filing an insurance claim with your insurance company, visit the After an Auto Accident: Understanding the Claims Process page.

Remember. . .
  • As difficult as it may seem, it is important that you remain calm.
  • Do not argue with other drivers and passengers. Save your story for the police.
  • Do not voluntarily assume liability or take responsibility, sign statements regarding fault, or promise to pay for damage at the scene of the accident.
  • Be watchful for unauthorized tow truck operators. 

Be prepared for any emergency on the road
Always keep a basic vehicle first aid or emergency kit in the trunk of your vehicle. You can easily create an emergency kit for your vehicle by filling a plastic storage container with the following:  
  • Pen and paper;
  • Accident Worksheet.
  • Basic first aid kit;
  • Camera;
  • Emergency road flares, warning triangles or cones;
  • Fire extinguisher (A-B-C Type);
  • Flashlight and extra batteries;
  • Bottled water;
  • Booster cables;
  • Tire repair kit and pump;
  • Small tool kit;
  • Towel;
  • Pair of work gloves;
  • Some type of non-perishable food;
  • Hand wipes; and
  • Thermal blanket.

Reporting Fraud
If you suspect that you may be a victim or target of a scam or fraud, you can help put an end to the scam or fraud by reporting it.
Call your local police and your insurance company to inform them and ask for next steps.
You can also submit an anonymous tip to Crime Stoppers (1-800-222-TIPS).
You may also file a report by calling 1-855-5TIP-NOW.

If you want legal advice, the Law Society of Upper Canada has services to help you find a legal professional.